Triage Nurse Duties

     This is the end of my second week in my new Triage role. At the end of the day, nursing is nursing but you still learn new things every day. Each day I clock in and check the messages, refill requests, prior authorization forms, and voicemails from patients. Throughout the day patients will call in and each call varies. Some patients are calling because they are in labor, have a UTI, yeast infection or BV. Other calls coming in are for pap results, genetic testing, ultrasounds, and biopsies. Everything I do from my desk is what I used to do on the floor. I assess patient symptoms over the phone and decide whether they need to try over the counter treatment, come in for an appointment, go to an Urgent Care, or head to to the emergency room. 

     At first when I accepted this position, I didn't know how it would play out. I'm used to running around doing multiple things at one time and always being busy. Surprisingly this is amazing. I'm not running ragged on the floor trying to do the job of three people. My job is the only job I have to worry about. Assessing patients and getting them where they need to be. I'm already familiar with doing prior authorizations so that is easy as well as scheduling. Putting in orders for mammograms, DEXAs, and prescriptions is easy too. The best part about this position is leaving on time every day. I don't have to stay behind to draw labs and spin them in the centrifuge. I don't have to clean and stock rooms anymore. At this facility I have my own desk and my own phone extension.. Leaving my last job has been the best decision. I have already lost weight, my anxiety and stress is down tremendously, we have more than enough staff, and I only have one job to worry about. 

     If your currently at a job that no longer values you or helps you grow, consider the job you've thought about but were nervous or scared of the outcome. It may turn out to be the place you've been needing for a peace of mind. People say the grass isn't always greener on the other side but you never know until go there. You have to take care of yourself and your mental health. I wanted so much for my old job but when I no longer felt valued or respected, I had to go and I'm so glad I did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Duties As A SAHG (Stay At Home Girlfriend)

Step Away From the Cake